Wednesday 18 April 2018

Wild Bird Wednesday 299 - Australian Wood Duck

Well, things are a bit hectic here - so today I am going to post some ducks and leave it at that!

These are Australian Wood Ducks (Chenonetta jubata) which are considered to be Goose-like Ducks!  I tend to think of them as duck like ducks!

Anyway, these ladies and gentlemen were about and about at Halls Gap last week, so I felt obliged to photograph them.






The males are the birds with the dark brown head, the female have the greater extent of speckles.

Sorry for the lack of visits - I'll be back up to speed for WBW 300!

As ever, to join in with WBW just click on the blue button below the thumbnails - feel free to share a link to this page on the many and varied forms of social media that we now use every day!  SM


22 comments:

  1. Handsome birds! We have goose-like Muscovy Ducks and duck-like Egyptian Geese. I think both bear some relationship with the shelducks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hari OM
    They are lovely - that second shot is particularly pretty! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are beauties, male and female.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a pretty duck and great photos. Well done. Cheers Diane

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never seen this one. I love the mottled plumage!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Who doesn't love ducks.

    Hope your time in charge has been fruitful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They do have the look of a goose about them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful ducks..Great shots..thanks for sharing Stewart..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pretty markings! I agree I think they are more duck-like ducks than goose-like ducks. Have a wonder-filled week, Stewart!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Our Wood Ducks are much more colorful ... at least the male, but these are gorgeous in their own way. Do they fly up and sit in trees like ours or are they more typical "Duck" :). We are getting very close to a move ... we close on the new house in May then all hell breaks loose. I will do my best to keep up, but can't make any promises. Be well, Stewart ...

    Andrea @ From the Sol

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stewart, handsome ducks. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. These remind me of the nene, the Hawaiian goose. I guess its the shape.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very nice looking ducks. Females as nice as the males.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Unusually for birds, the female is every bit as handsome as the male with her spotted chest.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well, I've heard of Duck Duck Goose (a game) so I guess these are Duck Goose Ducks. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm with you.... they are ducks....

    ReplyDelete
  17. Stewart, your shots never cease to amaze me and I agree, I think the females are pretty darn attractive. Today I got a "juvie" Pileated Woodpecker pounding the heck out of one of the rotting ogs in the woods!...)JP

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful post.
    Best regards!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your wood duck is an elegant bird! But I must say that this must be the only Australian bird that is less colorful than the US one by the same name.

    ReplyDelete