Tuesday 3 May 2011

World Bird Wednesday - Three Tasmanians.

The Tasmanian Native Hen is only found on the east and north of Tasmania – like most other gallinules I have seen they present as rather more brainless than most other birds! They spent a huge amount of their time chasing each other about, and seem to like living in places with no light! (Well that’s my excuse for this picture – it was also raining!)















The Cape Barren occurs in two areas – one the south eastern part of Australia and a second isolated population in Western Australia. They are much less common than they once were, possibly due to the fact that they are large enough to feed a family!















Lastly a Silver Gull. These occur over the whole of Australia, and I’ve included this one because I like the picture! If you see a gull in Australia chances are it’s this one. (Well, not this actual one, but you know what I mean!)

















You can find more world birds here, and you can see the latest post on my other blog by clicking the Paying Ready Attention link on the RHS of the page.
Enjoy the birds.

15 comments:

  1. Great sequence Stewart. Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely images of your beautiful birds.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Tasmanian Native Hen is much like our common moorhen but without the red beak. The Cape Barren is unlike any bird I have seen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great photographs, beautiful birds!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice photos, Stewart. I'd like to see the Cape Barren Goose, sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice photos, beautiful birds!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A great set of pictures. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was going through your blog and like you pictures(love sunsets especially) very much. I like your Tasmanian Native Hens - and I know, I will never see them in nature (never say never!). So thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. They are cool looking birds, great sighting. Your photos are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Greetings to you Stewart! These are strange sightings indeed for many of us. And yes, you'd better watch out if you can single handedly feed a family of four! Just ask our turkeys.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Definitely a neat looking bird. Great captures!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful birds, well presented!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Stewart, re the Black Swans I see in the UK Escapees from collections but they are becoming fairly common. I havn't seen my local birds this year and although I watched them hatch about six youngsters for the past two years the cygnets were always predated after a couple of weeks.
    A beautiful bird to see and I hope I havn't lost them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. howdy Stewart...always interesting birds on your post--Super Photos!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. thanks for sharing these very interesting birds!

    ReplyDelete